Borlotti (cranberry) beans with olive oil is a very refreshing and versatile dish. You can serve it as appetizer, a side dish or as a full meal especially in summer days. Also it’s really easy to make it. Just try it and you will love love love!
Ingredients: (you can buy the ingredients directly by clicking on them)
– 500 gr. (17,64 oz.) borlotti (cranberry) beans
– 1/2 cup olive oil
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 1 potato, diced
– 1 carrot, diced
– 2 large tomatoes, grated
– 1/2 tbsp. tomato paste
– 1 tsp. sugar
– 4-5 cloves garlic
1) Leave your 500 gr. (17,64 oz.) borlotti (cranberry) beans to rest in salt water overnight or approximately 8-10 hours.
2) We will cook our 500 gr. (17,64 oz.) borlotti (cranberry) beans a little before starting to our dish. Cover your borlotti beans with water and boil them around 10 minutes and then strain. (they should be cooked but don’t let them fall apart.)
3) Start cooking your finely chopped onion with 1/4 cup of water until it gets soft in your dutch oven.
4) Add your 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 tbsp tomato paste, 2 grated tomatoes, 1 diced potato, 1 diced carrot in that order and stir about 2 minutes.
5) Add your 1 tsp. sugar, salt, 1 cup of hot water and cook for about 5 minutes until your vegetables gets soft.
6) Add 500 gr. (17,64 oz.) borlotti (cranberry) beans to the dutch oven. Control your water level. It should exceed the beans a little bit. If it’s to low, add some more hot water.
7) Put your 4-5 garlic cloves to the sides of your dutch pan as a whole.
8) Cover your dutch pan with a lid, cook at a slow heat until it’s done. Don’t forget to check its water so you won’t burn your pan.
9) The consistency should be watery but not soupy. If you don’t want your dish so watery, you can cook it until the water drains.
Keep your dish in the fridge and serve as cold.
Appliances used & approved by chef in this recipe