You may expect a regular Turkish Kebab recipe when you see the name of the dish but this is a very different kind of kebab. Yes we have so many variations of kebab : ) Islim kebab is a meatball wrapped in eggplant (aubergine). It’s a very light but rich in taste dish and also it’s very easy to make it. Just try it, and you will love love love!
Ingredients: (you can buy the ingredients directly by clicking on them)
– 4 tall eggplant (aubergine)
– 400 gr. (14 oz.) ground beef
– 1 onion, grated
– 3-4 slices bread crumbs
– 1 tsp. garlic powder or 2 cloves grated garlic
– 1 egg
– Vegetable oil
– 2 green chili pepper, diced
– Cherry tomatoes
– Black Pepper
– Red pepper flakes
– Ground cumin
– 2 tbsp. parsley
– 1 full tbsp. tomato paste
– 1 1/2 cup hot water
1) Peel your 4 eggplants as striped. Slice them as thin lengthwise pieces. Put your sliced eggplants in salty water and let it rest for about 15-20 minutes.
2) Start doing your meatballs while waiting.
3) Take your 400 gr. (14 oz.) ground beef in a medium bowl. Add 1 grated onion, 1 tsp. garlic powder or 2 cloves grated garlic, 3-4 slices bread crumbs, 1 egg, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, ground cumin, allspice, 2 tbsp. parsley and knead your meatballs for about 5-8 minutes. Make walnut size of balls from your meatball.
4) Heat your vegetable oil in a pan. Strain and dry your eggplants. Fry your eggplants until tender. Put fried eggplants on a paper towel to take oil excess.
5) Fry your meatball in the same oil until cooked.
6) Heat your oven to 185°C (365°F)
7) Take to slices of your eggplants and make a cross shape. Put one of your meatballs in the middle of the cross. Fold the sides to the top. Put a slice of green chili pepper, one cherry tomato and insert a toothpick to bond your kebab. (as you can see in below video)
8) Align all your islim kebabs in a glass bakeware dish. Dissolve your 1 full tbsp. tomato paste in 1 1/2 cup of hot water and pour around all your islim kebabs.
9) Put you dish in the oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes (until the tomatoes fries.)
You can serve your dish with pilaf.
Appliances used and approved by chef in this recipe