I know you may be suspicious about this meal at first sight. Anchovies? Pilaf? Pilaf with anchovies? This is a very popular, easy but time consuming dish at Black Sea Region. You may also test your designing abilities : ) Just try it, and you will love love love!
Ingredients: (you can buy the ingredients directly by clicking on them)
For the seasoned rice:
– 1 1/2 cup baldo rice
– 1 1/2 cup hot water
– 1/4 cup vegetable oil
– 1/2 tbsp. butter
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 2 tbsp. pine nut
– 2 tbsp. black currant
– 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp. black pepper
– 1/2 tbsp. allspice
– 1 tsp. sugar
– 1/4 cup parsley
– 1 tbsp. dill
If you are using fresh anchovies clean out the heads and fishbones. Wash and drain your anchovies. If you are using instant fillets, just wash and drain.
Start with the seasoned rice:
1) Rest your 1 1/2 cup baldo rice in hot water for 30 minutes and strain.
2) Heat your 1/4 cup of vegetable oil and in a heavy bottom pan or dutch oven. Add your finely chopped onion, 2 tbsp. pine nuts and saute until your pine nuts turn pink.
3) Add your 1 1/2 cup of baldo rice and saute 3-4 minutes more.
4) Add 2 tbsp. black currant, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. black pepper, 1/2 tbsp. allspice, 1 tsp. sugar, salt. Pour your 1 1/2 cup of hot water, stir gently until combined and cover your pot with a lit.
5) When your pilaf starts to boil, turn the heat to slow and cook your pilaf until the water vaporize.
6) Turn the heat of, add your 1/4 cup of parsley, 1 tbsp. dill and stir gently until combined.
7) Rest your pilav while you are preparing the anchoives.
1) Butter a medium size round baking dish.
2) Season your anchovies with salt and coat them with corn flour.
3) Now we will cover our baking dish with anchovies including the sides. Start by making a flower shape in the middle of your baking dish with your anchovies. Continue to aligning outwards withour leaving any space between anchovies. Put also anchovies on the sides. The anchovies on the sides should hang outside. (you can see this step in below video)
4) Heat your oven to 180 °C (356 °F)
5) Pour your seasoned rice to your baking dish.
6) Fold the hanging anchovies on to pilaf and cover the top also with anchovies without leaving any space between. (as you can see in below video)
7) Put butter pieces on your pilaf with anchoives and bake for about 25-30 minutes (until the top fries.)
8) Take your cooked meal from the oven. Cover it with a large plate. Rest it for 5-10 minutes.
Turn your pilaf with anchovies upside down and serve by slicing.
Appliances used & approved by chef in this recipe