I actually have no words for this dessert. It’s not one of my favorite dessert, it’s absolutely my number one favorite dessert! If you have been every lucky enough to taste it, you would know what I’ve been talking about. “Tel kadayif” is very very popular in Turkey and there is some various recipe with kadayif. Today we are going to make with pistachios. You’ll see it’s very simple and extraordinary delicious. Just try it and you will love love love!
Ingredients: (you can buy the ingredients directly by clicking on them)
1) Chop your 500 gr. (18 oz.) shredded phyllo dough in little pieces.
2) Spare 2 tbsp. of your 1 cup pistachio and crush the rest of it in big pieces.
3) Your 250 gr. (9 oz.) butter should be very soft. You can melt it a little in your microwave if you want. Combine your butter and 1 tbsp. pekmez in a little bowl.
4) You will need 2 same sized baking dish for this recipe because we will turn our kadayif upside down when it’s baked. Butter on of your 12” baking dish with 1-2 tbsp. of your butter mixture.
5) Spread your separated full sized pistachios over your baking dish.
6) Pour half of your kadayif into your baking dish. Spread it and push through all over with your hands until it gets very firm. (as you can see in below video.)
7) Add the rest of pistachios on your baking dish.
8) Add the other half of your kadayif on pistachios and push through again until it gets firm. Put it in your fridge and let it there for 1 hour.
9) Heat your oven to 180°C (356°F)
10) Bake it about 30-35 minutes (until the top fries). Take it from oven, turn it upside down to your other 12” dish and let it cool.
11) In the meantime start to prepare your syrup. Add you 2 cups of sugar, 3 cups of water and 1 tsp. of lemon juice in a medium saucepan and boil. Wait about 10 minutes while it’s boiling and take it from the heat.
12) Pour your hot syrup over your cold kadayif. Please note that it’s very important that the syrup should be hot and the kadayif should be cold at this point. Otherwise your kadayif won’t absorb the syrup.
13) Wait about 30 minutes until kadayif absorbs the syrup.
You can serve your kadayif with vanilla ice cream or clotted cream or you can enjoy it all by itself.
Appliances used and approved by chef in this recipe