You might think that I have a thing about eggplants and you would be right about it. I think eggplants dishes come very delicious. Besides that, how could we ignore such tasty recipes? You know we make some very good “dolma”s in Turkey and today we will do it with eggplants. Just try it and you will love love love!
Ingredients: (you can buy the ingredients directly by clicking on them)
For the filling:
– 1 1/3 cup baldo rice
– 3 onion, finely chopped
– 2 tbsp. tomato paste
– 1 tbsp. pepper paste
– 1 tbsp. sumac
– 2 tbsp. red pepper flakes
– 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
– 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
– 3 tsp. lemon salt
– 1 tbsp. dried mint
– 1 tsp. salt
– 3/4 cup vegetable oil
– 4 tbsp. dill, finely chopped
– 1 tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
1) First of all boil your dried eggplants until they get softer. Strain and wash them.
2) Wash your 1 1/3 cup baldo rice and strain.
3) Take your 1 1/3 cup baldo rice, 3 finely chopped onion, 2 tbsp. tomato paste, 1 tbsp. pepper paste, 1 tbsp. sumac, 2 tbsp. red pepper flakes, 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin, 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper, 3 tsp. lemon salt, 1 tbsp. dried mint, 1 tsp. salt, 3/4 cup vegetable oil, 4 tbsp. finely chopped dill, 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley in a medium bowl and knead with your hands until fully combined.
4) Stuff your eggplants with the filling. You might want to leave a half inch gap at the end of the eggplants because the rice will bloat when cooked.
5) Align your stuffed eggplants in your dutch oven vertically without leaving any gaps.
6) Start making your sauce. Add 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 4-5 clove crushed garlic, 2 tbsp. dried mint, 1 tbsp. red pepper flakes, 1 tbsp. lemon salt, 1 tbsp. sumac, 1 tbsp. tomato paste in a little saucepan and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Pour your 2 1/2 cup water and stir well until combined.
7) Pour your sauce around your stuffed eggplants, add a little more water in your dutch oven (water level won’t pass the eggplants), start to cook in a medium heat. Add some more water if necessary while cooking.
You can pour some pomegranate sour sauce on your dolma while serving and you can serve your dish with plain yogurt.
Appliances used and approved by chef in this recipe