Add to Recipe Book
If you already mastered cooking loukoumades, it would be time to try Tulumba Tatlisi. We can say that tulumba dessert is very similar to churros. But don’t let the fact that these two desserts look the same does not mislead you. The cooking techniques of the two desserts are quite different from each other. Although Tulumba Dessert seems easy, it is a very technical dessert. But if you follow the cooking steps given below, you can be sure that you will not have any difficulties. And if you have any experience with choux pastry, I’m sure the recipe will be easy for you. Just try it, and you will love love love!
TURKISH TULUMBA TATLISI – SYRUPY SEMOLINA DESSERT
For the dough:
- 2 glasses of water
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of semolina
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
For the Syrup:
- 3 cups of sugar
- 3 glasses of water
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- First, you need to prepare the syrup. For the syrup, take the sugar and water in a suitable saucepan. When it starts to boil, boil it on low heat for 30-35 minutes until it has a thick consistency, add the lemon juice, and let it warm.
- Allow the syrup to cool completely or put it in the fridge. The syrup needs to be very cold; you can prepare the dough after the syrup is completely cooled.
- For the dough; add water, butter, sugar, salt to the pot, and bring to a boil.
- Sift the flour and add it to the boiled water mixture at once, stir immediately with a wooden spoon and with all your strength, and turn down the setting on the stove. Mix without stopping for 4-5 minutes and cook the dough in this way. Make sure that there is no lump in the dough.
- Set aside for the dough to cool. After the dough has rested for a while, break the eggs into the dough one by one, and mix well with the mixer, feed each egg into the dough for 2 minutes.
- After eating the eggs, add the lemon juice and semolina, and mix it with a mixer for 5 minutes at a high setting. It turns into a shiny and sticky paste.
- Place the oil in a large saucepan and heat on a high setting. If you want, you can open the bottom of the oil after squeezing the pumps into the cold oil. If you preheat the oil, there is no need to cool the oil again.
- Attach a star tip to a large cloth squeeze bag and add the dough halfway to the bag.
- Squeeze the dough into the desired size oil and cut it with scissors.
- Turn down the stove to warm the high-grade oil. Thus, when the outside of your dessert is browned, the inside will also be cooked.
- Stir occasionally with the help of a sieve and cook until it gets a caramel color.
- Take the cooked pumps from the oil and immediately put them in cold syrup and let sit for 2-3 minutes. Do this until your dough is finished.
What are the Tulumba Dessert Recipe Tips?
- You should start making Tulumba dessert first with its syrup and let the syrup cool. The syrup should be thick and completely cold.
- You should rest your dough before adding the eggs. If your dough is too hot, the eggs will be cooked when you add them to the dough.
- You should add the eggs to the dough one by one and mix well after adding each egg.
- You should cook your desserts slowly over low heat. If you cook it over high heat, the inside of the dessert will remain doughy. However, when your tulumba desserts are cooked on low heat will be much more delicious.
- You can cut your dough in any size you want.
- It would be better not to use thin ones as squeezing bags. Otherwise, your bag may tear immediately.
What do you think about that? Have you tried the Turkish Tulumba Tatlisi recipe yet? Please comment and share your experience. Or are you craving for another Turkish food that you want its recipe from me? You can always contact me here.