Add to Recipe Book
Today we are going to make a very regional and delicious meal. As you may know Ankara is the capital city of Turkey and also where I live. Unfortunately Ankara Casserole is not as famous as it used to be in Turkey but I’m sure you will shine it again in your kitchen. Ankara Casserole is usually made with lamb meat but you can always use veal if you don’t like lamb. You can also use braised meat from your freezer if you tried the recipe before. Just try it and you will love love love!
- 150 gr. (0,33 lb.) meat cubes
- 2 cup orzo
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1-2 sweet green chili peppers, chopped
- 2 little tomato, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. Tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 cup water
- Black pepper
- Take your 150 gr. (0,33 lb.) meat cubes in a medium pan.
- Pour water to your meat until it comes to the top of the meat cubes.
- Cook your meat cubes until the water drains and add some salt.
The tomato sauce:
- Add 2 tbsp. vegetable oil to a saucepan and heat it.
- Add your 1 finely chopped onion, 1-2 chopped sweet green chili peppers, cumin, black pepper to the saucepan and sauté until it changes its colour.
- Add 1 tbsp. Tomato paste, 1 clove garlic and sauté a little more.
- Pour your 2 grated little tomato and cook your sauce about 10 minutes after it boils.
The orzo pilaf:
- Pour leftover vegetable oil from 1/2 cup vegetable oil in a pot and heat it.
- Add your 2 cup orzo and sauté stirring constantly until it changes its colour.
- Pour your tomato sauce in your pilaf pot and stir a little.
- Add 3 cup water, some salt if necessary stir 5-6 times, cover the lid of your pot, take your stove to the low heat and cook your pilaf until it drains its water.
- Combine your cooked meat and pilaf and your Ankara Casserole is ready.
What do you think about that? Have you tried Ankara Casserole recipe yet? Please comment and share your experience. Or are you craving for another Turkish food that you want its recipe from me? You can always contact me from here.