Add to Recipe Book
Today I would like to share with you a very much-loved street food in Turkey which you can find on every corner in İzmir city. Boyoz has been brought by Sephardic Jews who immigrated to Turkey in early 15th century and it has been identified with Turkish cuisine since then. Boyoz is written as “bollos” in Spanish and means “little loaf”. Although it may seem like a difficult recipe to make, once you make it, you will see that it’s worth it with its deliciousness. Just try it and you will love love love!
Bollos Pastry - İzmir Boyozu
- 4 glasses of flour
- 1 and a half glasses of warm water
- 1 full teaspoon of salt
- 1 full teaspoon of granulated sugar
- To spread in between:
- 6 full tablespoons of butter or margarine
- Mix flour, salt and sugar into your bowl.
- Get a soft dough that does not stick to your hand by adding water little by little.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts and roll them.
- Put them on a plate and grease them with melted butter or oil.
- Cover the dough lumps you have prepared with a plastic bag and rest for 20 minutes in this way.
- Take the resting 3 pieces of dough on the counter and open them with your hand in the size of a small cake plate. Rub 2 full tablespoons of soft butter in the middle of each, taking care not to reach the edges.
- Roll out the remaining 3 pieces of dough. This time, without applying oil, cover them and stick the edges by pressing with your fingertips.
- Put a plastic bag on them again and let them rest for 50 minutes this time.
- At the end of the time, take one piece of dough on the counter and pull it out with your hands as much as you can. The thinner you open it, the better. There may be tears, but it doesn't matter. When folded, they will not be visible anyway.
- Then fold the ends together in the middle in an envelope shape and roll them into a roll.
- After doing the same process on the remaining 2 pieces of dough, put a plastic bag on them again and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Then, divide it into 4 pieces in your hand and bring each piece to an upright position and press one end inwards to shape it and put it in your oiled baking tray.
- Afterwards, press lightly on them with your hand and flatten them a little without crushing, put the plastic bag on them again and leave to rest for 50-60 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven set at 200 °C (392 °F) for 20-25 minutes until the top is browned.
What do you think about that? Have you tried boyoz recipe yet? Please comment and share your experience. Or are you craving for another turkish food that you want its recipe from me? You can always contact me from here