Add to Recipe Book
You may expect a regular Turkish Kebab recipe when you see the name of the dish but this is a very different kind of kebab. Yes we have so many variations of kebab : ) Islim kebab is a meatball wrapped in eggplant (aubergine). It’s a very light but rich in taste dish and also it’s very easy to make it. Just try islim kebab, and you will love love love!
- 4 tall eggplant (aubergine)
- 400 gr. 14 oz. ground beef
- 1 onion grated
- 3-4 slices bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. garlic powder or 2 cloves grated garlic
- 1 egg
- Vegetable oil
- 2 green chili pepper diced
- Cherry tomatoes
- Black Pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Ground cumin
- 2 tbsp. parsley
- 1 full tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup hot water
- Peel your 4 eggplants as striped. Slice them as thin lengthwise pieces. Put your sliced eggplants in salty water and let it rest for about 15-20 minutes.
- Start doing your meatballs while waiting.
- Take your 400 gr. (14 oz.) ground beef in a medium bowl. Add 1 grated onion, 1 tsp. garlic powder or 2 cloves grated garlic, 3-4 slices bread crumbs, 1 egg, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, ground cumin, allspice, 2 tbsp. parsley and knead your meatballs for about 5-8 minutes. Make walnut size of balls from your meatball.
- Heat your vegetable oil in a pan. Strain and dry your eggplants. Fry your eggplants until tender. Put fried eggplants on a paper towel to take oil excess.
- Fry your meatball in the same oil until cooked.
- Heat your oven to 185°C (365°F)
- Take to slices of your eggplants and make a cross shape. Put one of your meatballs in the middle of the cross. Fold the sides to the top. Put a slice of green chili pepper, one cherry tomato and insert a toothpick to bond your kebab. (as you can see in below video)
- Align all your islim kebab in a glass bakeware dish. Dissolve your 1 full tbsp. tomato paste in 1 1/2 cup of hot water and pour around all your islim kebabs.
- Put your islim kebab in the oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes (until the tomatoes fries.)
You can serve your islim kebab with pilaf.