Add to Recipe Book
Rice pilaf pie can be described as a festive dish. Rice pilaf pie is called “Drape Pilaf” in Turkish because you cover the pilaf you made with a delicious dough. I’m very excited to share this recipe with you because this is a special meal with a unique story in Turkey. Who wouldn’t like a dish with a story? It’s a hard recipe to make, but it well worth your trouble. Let’s talk about the story of rice pilaf pie.
Rice pilaf pie is one of the oldest Turkish dishes of the Siirt region. Its original homeland is Central Asia. Each ingredient that makes up the meal contains a separate message and meaning. While giving rice pilaf pie covered with handmade dough to the bride who has just arrived at the mother-in-law’s house, she said, “This house is now your home; “You should keep the secrets and problems of this house as if it were your own secrets, and should not reveal it even if it was your own mother and father.”
Thus, she associates the dough used by the mother-in-law with the spiritual devotion of the bride. The rice grains used in Rice pilaf pie are a symbol of fertility, just as the bride is pouring rice grains from her head to bring abundance to the house while entering the new home. The almonds used in the filling of the rice represent the grandchildren. The peanuts represent the granddaughter’s longing, and the currants represent the granddaughter’s health, the hot and sweet spices represent the bitter and precious days of life. In the past, cock meat or partridge meat was used instead of chicken meat. Rooster meat welcomes the husband.
Rice Pilaf Pie Recipe
RICE PILAF PIE – TURKISH PERDE PILAVI
For the pilaf:
- 3 cups of rice
- 2 spoonful butter
- 4 1/2 cups water and chicken stock mixture
- 2 chicken legs
- 1 tablespoon of currants
- 200 gr. raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons of pine nuts
- Black pepper salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons of yogurt
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- as much flour as it takes
- Start the making of Rice pilaf pie by boiling the chicken drumsticks.
- After boiling the chickens, you can start making rice with chicken broth.
- Melt the margarine in the rice pot and sauté the rice in oil for 3-4 minutes, which you have washed and drained well.
- Add 2 bowls of boiled chicken stock over the rice.
- Add half a tablespoon of salt and close the lid.
- Remove from the heat before the rice is fully cooked, while it is still slightly hard.
- Mix the pulled chicken, currants, and black pepper with the pilaf.
- Making the dough:
- First of all, grease your mold well with butter. Place the almonds in the greased mold as you wish and put the mold in the refrigerator.
- Knead your dough by mixing all the dough ingredients.
- Divide the dough into two pieces, one small and one big.
- Open the larger one 3mm thick and place it nicely on the bottom of the container, covering the edges.
- Pour the rice into it.
- Preheat your oven to 200 oC.
- Open the small piece of dough in the same way and cover it on the rice.
- Cook the rice pilaf pie in the oven preheated to 200 degrees until it is golden brown. Turn it over and serve.
Rice Pilaf Pie Tips & Tricks
– First, you should boil the thighs you will use.
– For the pilaf to be delicious, you should make it with the thighs’ juice, as everyone knows and prefers.
– Since you will cook your rice in the oven again later, you should not fully cook it at first.
– You should divide your dough into 1 big and 1 small dough and use the smaller one on the rice.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Q: What is rice pilaf?
A: The pilaf used in this delicious pie is rice pilaf.
Q: How to make rice pilaf
A: You can find various pilaf recipes in turkishfoodchef.com
What do you think about that? Have you tried the Rice Pilaf Pie recipe yet? Please comment and share your experience. Or are you craving for another Turkish food that you want its recipe from me? You can always contact me here.