Add to Recipe Book
Turkish Lebeniye soup can be described as a real meatball soup. How about some fulfilling and delicious main course Turkish Lebeniye Soup? Believe me when I say a soup can be a main dish and you can be full of just one soup. Turkish Lebeniye soup is a very delicious recipe consisting of rice, chickpeas, and little meatballs. It’s as healthy as it’s delicious. The word Lebeniye came to our language from Arabic. “Leben” means yogurt in Arabic and lebeniye is derived from this word. Literally, it can be translated as “about milk.” In fact, it is a soup just like its name, because it is made with yogurt. The lebeniye soup, which is widely consumed in our southeastern region of Turkey, is also a soup consumed in Lebanon. Just try it, and you will love love love!
Turkish Lebeniye Soup Recipe
TURKISH LEBENIYE SOUP – MEATBALL SOUP - LEBENIYE CORBASI
- 2 tablespoons of rice
- 1 cup boiled chickpeas
- 5 +1/2 glasses of water
- 1 + 1/2 glasses of yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- The juice of half a lemon
For the patties:
- 200 gr. Mince
- 1 onion
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon of mint
- Wash the rice and cook it with 1 glass of water.
- Add the remaining 4,5 glasses of water to the cooked rice and boil it.
- When it boils, add the chickpeas.
- Mix yogurt, flour, lemon juice in a bowl.
- Take 1 ladle of boiling soup into the bowl and mix it and slowly pour the mixture into the soup and mix.
- For the meatballs, knead the ground beef, onion, salt, and pepper, and make chickpea-sized balls.
- Fry the meatballs in butter, add mint, and pour over the cooked soup.
Turkish Lebeniye Tips & Tricks
– The chickpeas you use must be boiled. If you are going to boil the chickpeas during the day you are making the soup, you should soak them 1 night before. You can easily keep the excess chickpeas that you have soaked and boiled in your freezer.
– If you wish, you can use cracked wheat instead of rice. If you are going to use cracked wheat, you should wet the wheat, like chickpeas 1 night before.
– You should knead the meatball mixture well. Kneading for a short time may cause your meatballs to scatter. Therefore, you should knead the ingredients until they are mixed well with each other.
– You should add your liaison to the soup gradually as written in the instructions. If you add the sauce to the soup at once, your soup may break.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: What is Lebeniye Soup?
A: Lebeniye soup is a really delicious Turkish meatball soup recipe that is made with chickpeas and rice.
Q: What can I use in Lebeniye Soup instead of rice?
A: You can use cracked wheat instead of rice in your soup.
What do you think about that? Have you tried the Turkish Lebeniye Soup recipe yet? Please comment and share your experience. Or are you craving for another Turkish food that you want its recipe from me? You can always contact me here.