Add to Recipe Book
Zerde is one of the special recipes of the Ottoman palace cuisine. We can say that Zerde dessert is a kind of rice jelly with sugar. This precious dessert, cooked on special occasions and celebrations, gets its color and taste from two special spices: Saffron and turmeric. Enjoy rewarding yourself with a palace meal by trying the real zerde recipe, flavored with the aroma of saffron brewed in rose water at your home. Just try it, and you will love love love!
ZERDE DESSERT – ZERDE TATLISI
- 1/2 cup rice
- 6 glasses of water
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons starch arrowroot if available
- 1 pinch of saffron
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 4 tablespoons of rose water
- 2 tablespoons of currants
- 1 tablespoon of pine nuts
- Leave the saffron to steep in rose water overnight in a lidded bowl.
- Wash the rice thoroughly until all the starch has runoff.
- Take the starch-free rice with water and sugar in a pot and cook it without allowing the rice to overcook and become flaky.
- Dissolve the starch in 1/2 cup of water, pour over the cooked rice, and mix.
- Finally, add soaked currants, pine nuts, turmeric and rose watery saffron and mix.
- Cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Then take it in serving bowls and cool.
- After cooling, garnish with currants and pine nuts.
Zerde Dessert Tips
– When making this dessert, do not forget to wash the rice well. Since you also add starch into the dessert, it is important to wash the rice to prevent the starch’s predominant taste.
– Also, be careful to use saffron sparingly, as saffron has a dominant flavor.
What do you think about that? Have you tried the Zerde Dessert recipe yet? Please comment and share your experience. Or are you craving for another Turkish food that you want its recipe from me? You can always contact me here.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Q: What is zerde?
A: Zerde is a traditional dessert from Istanbul, Gaziantep, Balıkesir, Konya, Şanlıurfa, Tekirdağ, Edirne and Karaman regions in Turkish cuisine. You can prepare it by cooking water with rice and adding barberry sugar (puerperium sugar) and cloves. This delicious dessert is a kind of sugary rice jelly that is colored and scented with saffron.
Q: What is Zerde Origin?
A: This dessert has come from Ottoman cuisine to the present day.