Beef Tantuni can be a heavenly way to eat beef. Have you had the chance to try beef tantuni before? If your answer is yes, you are indeed a lucky person. Tantuni is a street food specific to Mersin province. If you are also a doner kebab lover, I am sure you will put it in a different place when you try this dish.
The essential features of beef tantuni are that the meats are chopped very small and cooked on an iron plate. Even the food chefs in Mersin cook this dish, especially with cottonseed oil. But don’t be upset if you don’t have an iron plate or can’t find cottonseed oil in your home. I will give you the best tantuni recipe that you can prepare in your home’s comfort and is as delicious as in restaurants. Just try it, and you will love love love!
Beef Tantuni Recipe
BEEF TANTUNI - TANTUNI
- 300 grams of beef entrecote
- 1 medium onion
- 2 small tomatoes
- 2 medium green peppers
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sumac
- 1/4 bunch of parsley
- 1 teaspoon of ground red pepper
- 1.5 glasses of water
- 1 white bread or two lavashes
- 1/2 medium lemon
- 10 small pickled peppers
- Clean the excess fat parts of 300 grams of beef entrecote and cut into small cubes.
- Add enough cold water to cover it and boil it until it absorbs the water.
- Heat the wok or iron plate on the stove.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of cotton oil (or olive oil) into the pan and add the boiled meats.
- Pour 1 cup of water mixed with 1 teaspoon of red pepper powder over the meats from time to time.
- Wait until the meats are drained.
- Take the 2 green peppers, which you cut in half and remove the seeds, into the pan and start roasting.
- After the peppers are roasted, take the lavash or sandwich bread you will serve, and soak them by pressing on the meats.
- After adding the 2 tomatoes, chopped and peeled, continue the cooking process for a short time, stirring occasionally.
- Place the cooked tantuni in sandwich bread or lavash, add the onion with sumac and consume it by squeezing lemon if you wish.
Beef Tantuni Tips & Tricks
- The purpose of the water or broth added to the sheet from time to time during cooking is to control the temperature of the sheet and provide steam to soften the bread on which the tantuni will be wrapped. You may prefer to use a sheet pan in tantuni making instead.
- You can serve the tantuni without the onion salad with sumac added with finely chopped parsley and add the tomatoes to the tantuni without cooking for a short time.
What do you think about that? Have you tried the Beef Tantuni recipe yet? Please comment and share your experience. Or are you craving for another Turkish food that you want its recipe from me? You can always contact me here.